- Maize crop is warm weather loving crop and it is grown in wide
range of climatic conditions.
- About 85% of the total acreage under maize is grown during mansoon
because of the fact that the crop stops growing if the night temperature
falls below 15.60 C or 600 F.
- Maize cannot with stand frost at any stage.
- Maize can successfully grown in areas receiving an annual rainfall
of 60 cm, which should be well distributed throughout its growing stage.
- Crop needs more than 50% of its total water requirements in about
30 to 35 days after tasseling and inadequate soil moisture at grain
filling stage results in a poor yield of shriveled grains.
- Maize needs bright sunny days for its accelerated photosynthetic activity
and rapid growth of plants.
- Prolonged cloudy period is harmful for the crop but an intermittent
sunlight and cloud of rain is the most ideal for its growth.