Total operational cost or total variable cost (TVC) : TVC includes
cost on all the inputs used (seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, weedicides,
machinery charges, transportation, labour etc) and interest on working
Total cost (TC) : TVC + fixed costs. In working out total costs,
the TVC is equated to 70% of the TC.
Ikisan - Low Cost technology in sugarcane cultivation
Low Cost technology in sugarcane
Cost of cultivation of sugar is very high and
increased costs of inputs every year, the profit margins obtained by
farmers are reduced year after year.
The only alternative is reducing the cost of
cultivation by adopting the following low cost and no cost cultural
1. Deep tillage
2. Tillage at optimum time and at optimum moisture level
3. Preparation of ridges and furrows using tractor drawn ridges.
4. Optimum time of planting.
5. Reduce the seed cost by following
(a) single bud direct planting
(b) spaced transplanting using seedlings raised in nursery beds.
(c) spaced transplanting using polybag seedlings,
(d) chip bud direct planting,
(e) chip bud seedling raised in polythene bags and transplanting.
6. Planting quality setts
7. Soil test and nutrient application
8. Right time and method of application
9. Use of organic sources like FYM, press mud, trash etc.
10. Use of neem or tar coated ureas
11. Use of slow-release N-fertilizers
12. Use of biofertilizers
13. Foliar application of fertilizers.
14. Green manuring
15. Use of rock phosphate and phosphobacteria
16. Economise the labour by using
(a) sugarcane sett cutting machine
(b) bullock-drawn sugarcane planter
(c) semi-automatic tractor drawn sugarcane planter
(d) tractor-drawn automatic sugarcane planter
(e) tractor mounted pit digger
(f) bullock-drawn weed mulcher
(g) wide swath spray boom
(h) sugarcane detrasher
(i) sugarcane harvester
(j) tractor mounted stubble shaver with off barring and fertilizer application
attachments wherever available and possible.
17. Weed control through herbicides.
18. Timely herbicide application, weeding and cultural operations
19. Use resistant varieties as per the need
20. Need-based pest and disease control measures.
21. Proper quality and time of application
22. Avoid excess N application and irrigation
23. Appropriate time of harvesting and ratooning
24. Use proper implement for harvesting and ratooning.